Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Art Owner

I finally made my very first art purchase. What I mean is, I have something else hanging on my walls besides my pictures. Don't get me wrong, I am fine with having my walls covered in my families faces, but it is also good to give a room a little balance.

I have this space, in my living room, that drove me crazy every time I walked by. I purchased some floating shelves last year off of Amazon. Very poor quality, they did not even sit flush to the wall, and it bugged me so bad.



I know I am a little OCD, but this would bug anybody, right? I mean look at that, it's horrible!



I would turn my head as I walked by them, just to avoid the confrontation and the anger that stirred within.


I love the pics of Erik and I when we were little, but they will need to find a new home.


My big package from Hawaii arrived!


I am overly excited about my paintings, done by Lindsay Wilkins, from Aisle to Aloha studio. I love her, her blog, and her amazing artistic abilities. She opened up her Etsy shop in August. I knew I would be ordering a painting from her for our downstairs, whenever we got around to finishing it. But then one day, as I was sitting on my couch getting mad at those shelves that were in my line of site, I decided it was time now. I thought I'll ask Lindsay if she would do a custom painting for me, for this space, to rid me of this shelf burden!

Now, this girl is all about color. Her paintings are filled with beautiful color. So, I was wondering if for me she would make an exception. I asked her if she wouldn't mind doing a boring black and white one.

When I first got married I was all about color. When we registered for our dishes, we registered for one of each color that they had in stock.



But, over time my taste has changed to, well, boring. I just love black and white, the simplicity makes me happy!

This is what my cabinets look like now.



She said sure and I did a little dance! She asked me to send her an idea of what I wanted. I sent her my vague ideas and told her I really wasn't all that creative, but I trusted her and what she thought would work.

I said I wanted two paintings hung apart from each other, but as if they were painted as one. I had seen some of her past work where she had done this and loved it. All I said was damask, elegant and the background as black. But really I had no clue what I was even asking for and could not envision what it might look like. When she sent me the first progress pictures, I was elated!

She perfectly captured what I didn't even know I wanted.




The dreaded shelves are down and the wall is ready for it's makeover.


Thank you honey, for hanging it for me right when it came! It would have killed me to wait.


Doesn't it look great with my finished pillows?


I absolutely love it and it works so perfect in this space. So much better. Now, I smile as I walk by!



We might have the same initials, but I certainly can't paint like her. Not even close!



Thank you Lindsay, I love them!


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. When you said you did a little dance when she said yes, I know you really mean you did a dance! I can picture you right now doing your little jig! It's all about the simple things in life that make us happy! LOVE the paintings in your house. They are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So glad that you love your painting! I had lots of fun painting it for you and think it looks awesome in your home!

    Also, I love that you can even make crooked shelves look good with your photos. :)

    Love ya, initial twin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! I want one!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great blog. I had to force myself to stop reading, because i am focusing on the Blog Hop. But i will be back. I am your newest follower from Bloggy Moms Blog Hop. You can find me at http://mom-stuffcommunity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And, I love the colorful dishes too!

    ReplyDelete